Log In

Russell Brand Reveals Details of Criminal Investigation in Court Plea | In Touch Weekly

Published 1 day ago3 minute read

pleaded with a New York judge to pump the brakes on the civil lawsuit accusing him of sexually assaulting an extra on the set of his 2011 film Arthur, In Touch can exclusively report.

According to court documents obtained by In Touch, Russell, 49, asked that the lawsuit be put on pause until the outcome of a criminal investigation against him in the United Kingdom or at least October, where the parties could provide the court with an update on the matter.

Russell’s accuser, who goes by the pseudonym Jane Doe, filed her lawsuit against the comedian in November 2023.

She claimed Russell exposed himself to her in 2010, while on the set of Arthur in front of the cast and crew.

The actor denied all claims of wrongdoing and did not recall an encounter with Jane.

Russell Brand

John Lamparski / Getty

In his new motion, Russell admitted he is under investigation for alleged sexual offenses overseas.

The actor’s lawyer revealed Russell has been interviewed on three occasions in 2023 and 2024 by the Metropolitan Police in London concerning these allegations.

“While there is no fixed timetable, it is considered likely that a decision on whether to charge [Russell] or not in the criminal investigation may be made before the end of the year,” Russell’s lawyer said.

“If a decision not to charge Mr. Brand is made, he will be formally notified of that decision. If a decision to charge Mr. Brand is made, he expects that a criminal trial will occur within one year to eighteen months of that decision,” his lawyer added.

Russell claimed Jane used the allegations in the U.K. against him in her lawsuit.

Russell Brand

MelMedia / Getty

As a result, Russell said Jane’s lawsuit should be stayed, or put on pause, until the outcome of the U.K. investigation. Russell has previously denied all claims of sexual assault.

His lawyer argued, “If a stay is not granted here, Mr. Brand will be forced to choose between invoking his Fifth Amendment rights, potentially impairing his defenses in this matter, or providing information in civil discovery that could be used against him in a criminal proceeding.” Russell said if the case proceeds, and he submits to a deposition, he will face “irreparable harm.”

The judge has yet to rule.

As In Touch previously reported, in her lawsuit, Jane claimed the actor appeared “intoxicated” and smelled like “alcohol.”

She noted he was carrying a bottle of vodka on set.

She claimed Russell followed her to a bathroom where he sexually assaulted her. In her filing, Jane accused a crew member of watching the bathroom door while the alleged assault took place.

Jane told the court, “As a result of the sexual abuse, I suffered and continue to suffer extreme embarrassment, shame and fear.”

Russell denied all allegations of wrongdoing. He said he had no memory of an encounter with Jane and disputed he was intoxicated on the set. He said he was in character as Dudley Moore, who was a drunk. ”

“[Russell], an actor and comedian, played the same role in the 2011 remake. While [Russell’s] job was to act drunk and portray a drunk the film, he did not drink a sip of alcohol or consume any drugs at any time during production,” his lawyer added.

The actor said he had been sober since 2002. Russell said by the time the lawsuit was filed, he had not used drugs or alcohol for nearly 21 years. In addition, Russell denied he exposed himself or committed any kind of assault against Jane.

As In Touch first reported, the court ordered Russell to be deposed in the case on February 25, but it appears it did not take place.

Origin:
publisher logo
In Touch Weekly
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...

You may also like...