Log In

Kellie Pickler Pleads With Judge to Postpone Contempt Trial | In Touch Weekly

Published 4 weeks ago3 minute read

asked a judge to call off the scheduled trial where her late husband ’ parents want her found in contempt of court, In Touch can exclusively report.

Kellie, 38, filed an emergency motion on Tuesday, March 4, obtained by In Touch. The American Idol alum pleaded for the trial scheduled for March 20 be “continued indefinitely.”

As In Touch first reported, Kellie and and have been fighting for months over Kyle’s property.

Kyle, a successful songwriter who worked with Garth Brooks and Tim McGraw, died on February 17, 2023, from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the age of 49.

Kellie and Kyle had been together since 2008 and married since January 2011.

Kellie Pickler

Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images

After his death, Kellie declined to serve as administrator of Kyle’s estate. Sharon and Reed took over the duties.

As part of the probate case, Kyle’s parents fired off a subpoena to Kellie demanding she produce a ton of their late son’s property.

The subpoena included list of assets that included Kyle’s gun collection, Samurai Japanese sword, Rolex watch, Garmin watch, a plastic bin of baseball card albums, school awards, various musical instruments and his iPhone and hard drives.

Last year, Kellie filed a petition asking the court for help. She explained Sharon and Reed served her with a subpoena but there was a dispute, “amongst the parties regarding certain personal property allegedly in [Kyle’s] possession prior to his death.”

Kellie’s lawyer explained that the list of assets that Sharon and Reed turned over include, “items that [Kellie] either does not have in her possession or over which right, title and possession are disputed.”

Reed and Sharon objected to Kellie’s claims in court.

They accused her of being in violation of the subpoena by refusing to return Kyle’s property.

Reed and Sharon’s lawyer said, “[Kellie] and her counsel have provided conflicting information regarding the location and rightful possession of the items listed and, as set forth hereinabove, have admitted [Kellie] is in possession of several items of property of [Kyle].”

In court documents, Kellie claimed her former in-laws came to her home to pick up Kyle’s property.

Kellie Pickler

Taylor Hill/FilmMagic

She said they never provided her with inventory of what was taken. Reed and Sharon said Kellie invited them over and had a pile for them to take, but it did not include the items they are demanding.

As In Touch first reported, Reed and Sharon filed a petition seeking to find Kellie in contempt of court for refusing to comply with the subpoena. Reed and Sharon said the property in question “indisputably belongs to the estate.”

Their petition read, “despite this court’s subpoena, and [Kellie’s] own admission that she has failed to relinquish possession of estate property, her admission that she is withholding estate property and despite numerous informal attempts to obtain the withheld property before and after [Kellie’s] failure to comply with the [subpoena].”

For her part, Kellie argued there is no order issued by the court “enforcing the subpoena.”

“There is simply no basis to support a contempt petition,” Kellie’s response added.

Now, this week, Kellie asked for the scheduled trial set for March 20 to be taken off the calendar. She accused Reed and Sharon of not following the proper process with their petition.

The entertainer said she had not had sufficient time to respond to the claims and engage in discovery, including taking potential depositions. A judge has yet to rule on Kellie’s request.

If you or someone you know is struggling with substance abuse, contact the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357).

If you or someone you know is in emotional distress or considering suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

Origin:
publisher logo
In Touch Weekly
Loading...
Loading...

You may also like...