£17M Ketamine Seized: UK’s Largest Drug Haul Leads to Man’s Conviction

Paul Farrelly, 46, of Redbank Close in Fazakerley, Liverpool, has been sentenced to five years and four months in prison after being caught with what the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) described as the “biggest haul of ketamine in the UK.” Farrelly was apprehended on September 16, 2025, while driving a black VW Crafter van on the East Lancashire Road in the Norris Green area of Merseyside. Officers discovered an estimated 875 kilograms of ketamine, a Class B drug, with a street value of approximately £17 million, according to Merseyside Police. Police stopped the vehicle around 4:30 p.m., noting Farrelly’s nervous demeanor. A search of the van uncovered 22 sacks of ketamine in the back. However, investigators soon identified a sophisticated concealment method, a pallet containing kitchen worktops that had been hollowed out. Inside these compartments were an additional 13 sacks of the drug, bringing the total to 35 sacks. Authorities confirmed this to be the largest single-location ketamine seizure ever recorded in the UK.
Following his arrest, Farrelly was taken to Belle Vale custody suite for questioning but refused to comment during interviews. He was later charged with possession of ketamine with intent to supply and pleaded guilty at his first appearance before Liverpool Magistrates’ Court on September 16, 2025. On Thursday, at Liverpool Crown Court, Farrelly received his sentence. Senior Crown Prosecutor Andrew Blennerhassett of CPS Mersey-Cheshire highlighted the growing misuse of ketamine, a substance legally used as a veterinary anaesthetic. He warned of the serious physical and mental health risks associated with human consumption, including dependency and painful bladder damage that can require lifelong treatment. “This case shows the dangerous nature of the illegal drug trade and the devastating consequences it can have,” Blennerhassett said, noting that Farrelly played a significant role in drug distribution, though it remains unclear whether he was part of a larger organized network.
Detective Chief Inspector Tony Roberts of the Merseyside Organised Crime Partnership (OCP), a joint initiative between the National Crime Agency (NCA) and Merseyside Police, underscored the magnitude of the seizure. “When officers pulled over Farrelly’s van, they made one of the largest seizures of ketamine ever recorded in the UK,” Roberts said.
He praised the collaborative effort that ensured millions of pounds worth of drugs would never reach vulnerable users, and warned against viewing ketamine as a “cheap party drug.” Roberts stressed the severe long-term damage ketamine abuse inflicts, both mentally and physically, condemning organized criminals who profit from addiction without regard for human life. “Farrelly is now facing the consequences of his actions,” he added, reaffirming the OCP’s commitment to removing dangerous drugs from UK communities.
The Merseyside Police Matrix Disruption Team, which supported the operation, continues to target criminal networks and prevent the distribution of ketamine and other illicit substances, a mission authorities describe as critical to safeguarding public health and safety.
You may also like...
Guardiola's Shock Exit: Man City's Future in Doubt as Pep Lands New Gig
Pep Guardiola is set to depart as Manchester City manager after a decade of unprecedented success, but will remain with ...
Carrick Takes Command! Manchester United Seals Permanent Manager Deal

Manchester United has officially appointed Michael Carrick as their permanent manager, rewarding his successful interim ...
Shockwave Hits Starz: Major Series Gets the Axe!

Starz has canceled its reboot series, "Spartacus: House of Ashur," after just one season due to poor ratings and strateg...
Jazz World Shaken: Kendrick Lamar Collaborator Ryan Porter Passes Away at 46

Renowned jazz trombonist Ryan Porter, a key member of the West Coast Get Down and contributor to Kendrick Lamar's *To Pi...
Hip-Hop Mourns: ‘It Takes Two’ Legend Rob Base Dies at 59

Hip hop legend Rob Base, of the iconic duo Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock, passed away at 59 on May 22, 2026, after a private ba...
Angola Charges Ahead: New Event Tourism Strategy Launched at Major Fair

Angola has debuted at IMEX Frankfurt, a leading global event tourism fair, with a strategic focus on attracting investme...
Star-Studded Farewell: The Late Show Bids Emotional Goodbye

Stephen Colbert's "The Late Show" aired its final episode tonight, with the host affectionately calling it "the joy mach...
Hollywood Shake-Up: Tom Hardy's Abrupt Exit from MobLand Project

Guy Ritchie's MobLand has become Paramount+'s biggest non-Taylor Sheridan hit, marking significant success for the serie...





