Whispers of Treason: 42 Nigerian Officers Detained Amidst Alleged Coup Plot and Raids

Nigeria is facing a tense moment of political and military uncertainty following revelations that at least 42 military officers have been detained over an alleged coup plot. What began as reports of 16 initial arrests in late September has now expanded, with sources at the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) confirming that dozens of personnel are currently under interrogation. The Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) and military police are said to be tracing funding channels and communication networks, raising the possibility that the number of suspects could grow further.
Among the first group of 16 detainees, 14 were from the Nigerian Army, while the Navy and Air Force each had one officer implicated. The breakdown included a brigadier general, a colonel, four lieutenant colonels, five majors, two captains, and a lieutenant. The naval officer was identified as a Lieutenant Commander, while the air officer held the rank of Squadron Leader. Notably, 12 of the 14 Army officers hailed from the Infantry Corps, the military’s primary combat unit, with one from Signals and another from the Ordnance Corps.
Most of the detained Army personnel are said to be alumni of the 56 Regular Course of the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA), which trained between 2004 and 2008. Six members of this cohort — four lieutenant colonels and two majors — were reportedly among the first arrested. Officers from other NDA classes, including the 44th, 47th, 59th, and 60th Regular Courses, as well as Short Service Courses 38 and 43, were also implicated. Geographically, 15 of the 16 officers in the initial arrest wave were from northern Nigeria, covering the North-central, North-east, and North-west zones, with only one officer from the South-west.
According to early intelligence leaks, the alleged conspiracy involved plans to assassinate key political leaders, including President Bola Tinubu, Vice President Kashim Shettima, Senate President Godswill Akpabio, and Speaker of the House Tajudeen Abbas. However, the Nigerian Armed Forces have officially denied any coup plot, describing the reports as “false and malicious.” In a statement, the DHQ clarified that the arrests were part of a “routine internal process” aimed at maintaining discipline and professionalism within the ranks. The Presidency has echoed this position, reaffirming confidence in the loyalty and cohesion of the Armed Forces.
Following the reported foiling of the plot, President Tinubu enacted sweeping leadership changes within the military. General Olufemi Oluyede, previously Chief of Army Staff, was elevated to Chief of Defence Staff, replacing General Christopher Musa. Major-General Waidi Shaibu was appointed Chief of Army Staff, Air Vice Marshal Sunday Kelvin Aneke became Chief of Air Staff, and Rear Admiral Idi Abbas assumed the role of Chief of Naval Staff. Major General Emmanuel Undiendeye retained his position as Chief of Defence Intelligence. Although these moves have not been officially linked to the alleged coup, analysts view them as part of a broader effort to reassert control and rebuild trust within the military hierarchy.
A dramatic twist came with the reported raids on the residences of former Bayelsa State Governor and ex-Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva. Military operatives allegedly stormed his homes in both Abuja and Bayelsa, arresting his brother and personal assistant. Sylva, through his media aide Julius Bokoru, has strongly denied any involvement, claiming he was abroad for medical reasons and a professional conference at the time. Bokoru dismissed the allegations as politically motivated, describing them as attempts by “desperate actors seeking to tarnish Sylva’s reputation.”
Additionally, a managing director of a federal agency was reportedly detained and questioned for allegedly facilitating financial transfers linked to the purported coup financing. The DHQ has not commented on these specific allegations, and details remain murky.
Security analysts, however, have raised concerns about the opacity of the situation. Bashir Galma, a retired military officer and security expert, cautioned that the government’s reluctance to confirm or deny key aspects of the case may be driven by fears of economic fallout. “Admitting to even the possibility of a coup could deter investors and inflame public anxiety,” he said. “However, the longer the government maintains silence, the greater the risk to its credibility if later evidence contradicts official denials.”
As investigations deepen and speculation swirls, Nigeria stands at a delicate crossroads. Whether this episode proves to be a genuine security threat or an internal disciplinary crackdown, it underscores persistent fragility in civil-military relations — and the high political stakes surrounding the country’s security establishment.
Recommended Articles
Sowore Leads Fiery Protests in Abuja, Accuses Wike of Jabi Lake Land Grab and Official Theft

Human rights activist Omoyele Sowore led hundreds of protesters in Abuja to oppose the alleged privatization of Jabi Lak...
Amaechi Unleashes Political Firestorm: Blames Nigerians for Tinubu's Presidency, Accuses APC of Sabotage
Rotimi Amaechi, a 2027 presidential hopeful, has challenged President Bola Tinubu's claim of making Buhari president in ...
Fayemi Under Fire: APC Warns Ex-Governor After Explosive Comments on Party Ideals and Tinubu's Vatican Encounter

Former Ekiti State Governor Kayode Fayemi faces threats of disciplinary action from the APC for criticizing the party's ...
APC's Massive Presidential Vote: 14 Million Members Cast Ballots in Epic Primary

The All Progressives Congress (APC) holds its presidential primary today, May 23, 2027, with approximately 14 million re...
Fayemi's Political Bombshells: 'I Should Have Been President,' Tinubu's Rise, and Obi's 'Phenomenon'

Former Ekiti State governor Kayode Fayemi believes he would have been Nigeria's president in 2023 had he not stepped dow...
APC Chairman Declares Primaries Most Competitive in Nigeria’s History
The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Professor Nentawe Yilwatda, has described the party’s ongo...
You may also like...
Sensational Season: Fernandes Crowned Premier League's Top Player

Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes has been named Premier League Player of the Season and Football Writers’ Assoc...
Anime Crowns Its Champion: 'My Hero Academia Final Season' Dominates Crunchyroll Awards

The 10th Crunchyroll Anime Awards, held in Tokyo, celebrated the best in anime with "My Hero Academia Final Season" crow...
Cannes Shockwave: Jury President Park Chan-wook's Bold Claim Rocks Film Festival

The 79th Cannes Film Festival concluded with Cristian Mungiu winning the Palme d’Or for "Fjord," making him a two-time l...
Critical Delays Loom: Kenya Airways Warns Against Maintenance Bill

Kenya Airways has raised significant concerns with Parliament over the proposed Strategic Goods Control Bill, 2026, fear...
Nigeria Unleashes WhatsApp AI Platform for Public Services Access

Nigeria's federal government has launched GovGuideNigeria, an AI-powered platform designed to improve citizens' access t...
OpenAI Trial's Stark Revelation: The Battle for AI's Soul Between Profit and Purpose
A recent trial between Elon Musk and OpenAI CEO Sam Altman highlighted the astronomical costs of AI development, reveali...
Nigeria Pioneers Digital Governance, Launching Services on WhatsApp

Recent developments showcase Africa's tech momentum, with Nigeria launching an AI-powered government services chatbot on...
Google's Groundbreaking Agentic AI Overhaul Reshapes Search

Google I/O 2026 ushers in an era of agentic intelligence, transforming Google from an answering machine into a proactive...