Log In

SANDF reveals identities of soldiers killed in DRC

Published 1 month ago2 minute read

The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) has announced the names of soldiers who lost their lives in a intense battle against the March 23 Movement in Goma, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

Last Saturday, the defence force confirmed the deaths of the SA troops.

The South African previously reported that nine SANDF members were killed during a clash when the M23 rebel group wanted to take over Goma.  

Just days after the incident, the M23 rebels launched several mortar bombs in the direction of Goma Airport, which landed in the SANDF base, and this resulted in the SANDF losing three members. Two members who were injured during the incident sadly died in hospital, bringing the death toll to 14.

Here are the SANDF members killed in DRC:

SANDF spokesperson Siphiwe Dlamini said the fallen soldiers were part of the defense force’s contingent deployed to the region as part of both the Southern African Development Community Mission in the DRC (SAMIDRC) and the United Nations Organisation Stabilisation Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO).

“They displayed extraordinary courage in their confrontation with the M23 rebels who had attacked their base in Sake,” Dlamini said.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Defence and Military Veterans Angie Motshekga and SANDF Chief General Rudzani Maphwanya have sent their condolences to the families of the deceased.

Meanwhile, the Limpopo government has postponed the planned visits to the families of the deceased soldiers.

Premier Dr Phophi Ramathuba was scheduled to lead visits to various villages in the province on Sunday, 2 February.

Origin:
publisher logo
SA People
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...

You may also like...