Death toll in the attacks on five communities, which occurred on Wednesday in Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau State, has risen to 52, the chairman of Bokkos Cultural Development Council (BCDC), Farmasum Fuddang, has said.
Weekend Trust reports that gunmen killed no fewer than 20 persons and injured many others in separate attacks on five villages in Bokkos.
The chairman said the death toll could be more than 52 as search for missing persons continued on Friday.
Fuddang explained that the figure rose to 52 following the deployment of more security forces, which allowed for recovery of some bodies in the bushes.
He said, “So far, 52 dead bodies were recovered in various villages, including 4 in Pyakmal, 11 in Ruwi, 36 in Hurti, 4 in Manguna and 1 in Daffo. We are still awaiting updates from ongoing search-and-rescue operation for missing persons.”
The chairman further disclosed that residents who survived the attacks were being evacuated to displaced persons camps under the escort of military and police personnel.
Suspects arrested – Plateau govt
Brigadier-General Gakji Shipi (retd), the acting coordinator of Operation Rainbow and special adviser to Governor Caleb Mutfwang on security, on Friday confirmed that several suspects had been arrested in connection with the attacks, which he said were unprovoked.
“A lot of communities have been razed and casualties recorded. The exact figures are not yet concluded because up till now, we are still embarking on operations to determine the total number of casualty. Up to this moment, we are unable to put our finger as to what gave rise to what has happened. Gladly, the security agencies have made arrests that are helping us to unveil what has gone wrong,” he said.
The special adviser further alleged that the perpetrators were attempting to instigate further violence in the state, saying, “There was no form of provocation whatsoever to what happened. What first hit me with all the evidence were some people who instigated this for their own selfish reasons.
“We are all aware that there are people who benefit from insecurity. The peace we have enjoyed all these while has put their business as standstill. So, there is a very high probability that they are the ones behind this sudden outbreak of this violence. Like you all know, previously, you could all lay your fingers on the cause, either farm destruction or rustling of cattle, but this time, nothing happened.”

How we foiled the attack – OPSH
Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), a multi security task force maintaining peace in the state, explained how it foiled the attack.
Major Samson Zhakom, the spokesperson of the operation, disclosed this on Friday in Jos, adding that troops had engaged the attackers, who were forced to flee the communities.
Major Zhakom narrated that, “The ongoing Operation Lafiyan Jama’a, on April 2, 2025, foiled militia attacks Tamiso, Daffo, Manguna, Taddai and Hurti communities in Bokkos Local Government Area (LGA) of Plateau State.
“During the operation, troops made contact, overwhelmed and forced the attackers to abandon 1 AK-47 rifle and 6 motorcycles. Troops exploited the general area and observed traces of blood along the withdrawal route of the criminals.
“Through further exploitation of the attacked locations in Bokkos, troops, on April 3, 2025, conducted clearance operations at Hurti community, having observed the activities of militias within the mountainous area.
“Troops engaged the criminals with a high volume of fire, forcing them to withdraw in disarray. The area was combed by troops and one locally fabricated pistol, 6 rounds of 9mm and 4 motorcycles were recovered. Troops are currently dominating the general area to neutralise the fleeing criminals, “ the spokesperson said.
Don’t take laws into your hands – Youth council tells residents
Speaking on the incident, the Plateau Youth Council (PYC), has called on residents in the state to remain calm while security forces work to restore order
Panan Gongden, the chairman of the group made the call yesterday in Jos during an interview with journalists on the latest attack.
The chairman promised that although they were pushed to the wall, they would never take the law into their hands. He called on all residents to work with security agencies to ensure law and order.
“These are provocations we are familiar with. We have decided to associate this with activities of criminals who are bent on destabilising the state and the efforts of the state government.
“On our part as youths, we also associate the approaching farming season. We have observed that over time, once the rainy season begins, some of this criminality surfaces, possibly to intimidate locals from accessing their farm lands.
“We appreciate the leadership of the youth. It is quite emotional for people who have lost their loved ones and for us in the state generally. We appeal to the youth to be calm and allow law enforcement agencies to do their jobs,” the chairman added.
Ex-Rep Bagos decries killings, calls for establishment of state police
Meanwhile, a former chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Science and Technology, Dachung Bagos, has condemned the killings in Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau State.
Bagos, who represented Jos South/East federal constituency in the 9th House, urged the federal government to intensify efforts in securing the lives and property of the people in the local government and the state generally.
He also advised the National Assembly to expedite action on the creation of state police to enable state governments and local communities take care of their security needs.
A statement by Dafwam Yaks, the special adviser on media and publicity to Bagos, said his principal expressed sorrow and condemnation over the ongoing killings in Bokkos, particularly regarding the recent tragic attacks in Ruwi village.
“His thoughts are with the families affected by these senseless losses, which have left lasting scars on the community and beyond.
“He commended Governor Caleb Mutfwang, who demonstrated capacity and showed compassion by his visit to the affected areas, offering sympathy to grieving families by reaffirming his commitment to addressing the security challenges.
According to the statement, Bagos urged local communities to unite in their efforts to protect one another, emphasising the importance of community strength as outlined in Nigeria’s constitution.
“In this moment of mourning, Bagos extends his heartfelt condolences to the families who have lost loved ones and pray for healing for those who are hospitalised. It is a time for solidarity and collective strength as the community seeks to recover and support one another,” he concluded.