Log In

…Okpebholo orders suspension of Security Corps Commander, illegal vigilance groups

Published 5 days ago5 minute read

From Tony Osauzo, Benin, Sola Ojo, Abuja, Abel Leonard, Lafia

Besides, the Governor also ordered the immediate suspension of all illegal vigilance groups operating under whatever guise in the State.

A special announcement signed by Secretary to the State Government, Umar Musa Ikhilor, said the State Government took the action after a review of the preliminary report of the unfortunate incident of Thursday 27th March, 2025 at Uromi in Esan North East Local Government Area of Edo State involving the gruesome killing of some travelers,

“It is to be reiterated that the local vigilante group involved in the gruesome killing of 27th March was operating illegally as it was never profiled or registered with Edo State Security Corps. Its actions do not reflect the core values, character and principles of the Okpebholo administration, or the objectives of the corps as enshrined in the Edo State Security Corps Governance Law.

“Investigations into the killings are on-going and fourteen (14) persons have been arrested so far, while there is an intense manhunt for others involved in the gruesome killing by a special team set up by the Inspector General of Police.

“The Government of Edo State reiterates its belief in the constitutionally guaranteed rights of citizens to move freely or engage in lawful business in any part of the country.

“In the meantime, the Government is in touch with families of the victims, community leaders and the Government of Kano State where most of the deceased are reported to hail from.

“We urge all parties involved to remain calm as the State Government remains committed to ensuring that justice is done in a most efficient, transparent and proactive manner”, the statement said.

Meanwhile,renowned Kaduna-based Islamic Scholar and public affairs commentator, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, has strongly condemned the killing of the hunters and called for calm.

He also warned against any form of reprisal in the North, believing that the government would do the right thing by way of bringing the perpetrators of the heinous act to book to serve as a deterrent to others who may want to take the laws into their hands.

To him, taking the law into one’s hands is unacceptable and goes against the principles of religion and social justice, stressing that killing innocent people based on their tribal or ethnic affiliation is morally reprehensible and has no place in a society governed by laws.

Gumi commended the North for not seeking revenge, demonstrating a commitment to peaceful coexistence.

“The immediate reaction from the North is commendable in the sense that it did not take the laws into its hands even though voices were calling for revenge.

“How can you do that to the innocent person(s)? This is against the ethics of religion and even social justice. How do you explain killing someone just because of his tribal or ethnic affiliation without committing any crime?

“You can apprehend and arrest suspects as citizens, but not to kill or set them ablaze. That was too barbaric. Nigeria should grow beyond that.

“I think what fueled that is general atmosphere whereby you have some voices calling for separation whether IPOB or Sunday Igboho.

“I was in Igboho town in Oyo State and saw cattle rearing freely with the Fulani leading them. Then it dawned on me that it was just one person making such noise; otherwise, the society accepted one another.

“I’m very happy that there is no reprisal in the North, and anybody who wants to speak along that line should be tamed immediately.

“At the same time, the perpetrators of the crime should be fished out and brought to book so next time, people will not just take the laws into their hands”, he said.

He urged politicians and clergy from the South to work towards promoting unity and tolerance, emphasizing that Nigeria should strive to move beyond such barbaric acts.

“What happened in Uromi, Edo State, simply showed that our politicians and clergy from the South have a lot of work to do. People should know that you don’t just take the laws into your hands in a country with a constituted authority*, he added.

Moreso, the Nasarawa State chapter of the Labour Party has  condemned the killing of the hunters,urging security agencies to conduct a thorough investigation and ensure swift justice for the victims.

In a statement yesterday ,in Lafia to mark this year’s Eid-el-Fitr celebration, the party’s state chairman, Alexander Ombugu, described the incident as “barbaric and senseless,” calling on the federal and Edo State governments to take decisive action against mob violence.

According to Ombugu, the victims, primarily Hausa hunters, were traveling from Port Harcourt, Rivers State, to Kano State for the Sallah festivities when they were attacked over alleged kidnapping suspicions.

“It is with a heavy heart that I received the news of this tragic incident. I extend my deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of the victims. I urge security agencies to conduct a transparent and expeditious investigation to uncover the truth and ensure justice is served,” the statement read in part.

The LP chairman also appealed to Northern leaders and Nigerians at large to remain calm and resist any calls for retaliation, emphasizing the need for dialogue, reconciliation, and peace-building to prevent ethnic tensions.

“As we celebrate this auspicious occasion, I encourage all Muslims to embrace the spiritual lessons of Ramadan—love, peace, and justice—and incorporate them into their daily lives to make Nigeria a better place. Additionally, I call on everyone to pray for our leaders at all levels of government so they can steer the country in the right direction,” he added

Origin:
publisher logo
The Sun Nigeria
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...

You may also like...