Log In

Family Condemns Police Raid In Edo Community, Mass Arrest Including Son Over Killing Of Northerners | Sahara Reporters

Published 6 days ago4 minute read

They alleged that security operatives stormed their residence in an aggressive manner, detaining him without clear evidence of his connection to the tragic killings.

The family of Okoemu Joshua Junior has accused the Nigerian police of an illegal raid and mass arrest, insisting that their son is innocent of any involvement in the killing of 16 northern hunters in Uromi, Edo State. 

The family expressed shock and dismay over Junior's arrest, describing it as a gross miscarriage of justice.

They alleged that security operatives stormed their residence in an aggressive manner, detaining him without clear evidence of his connection to the tragic killings.

SaharaReporters gathered that Junior was asleep around 5am on Sunday when the Nigerian police stormed his room and took him away.

A family source told SaharaReporters on Monday that Junior had gone to work at a construction site on the day the incident occurred.

Another family member stated that Junior was not home when the mob attack took place in Uromi. 

The source explained that Junior arrived after the incident had already happened. 

However, at around 5am on March 30, he police raided their father’s house, breaking through the fence and two entrance gates to gain access. They found their father and Junior sleeping in a room. 

The officers reportedly asked their father if he was alone in the house. When he replied that his son was also there but asleep, they ordered him to wake Junior up.

However, they then told Junior to put on his shirt and took him away. The family has not been able to locate him since.

“Our elderly father is now alone in the house, and none of us are around to check the police station to confirm if Junior is there or not,” the source told SaharaReporters.

The family added that Junior previously lived in Lagos but moved to Uromi to stay with their father, who is a retired high school principal.

However, when the source first heard rumors about the events in Uromi, he quickly called their father, who said he could not step outside. When asked about Junior, he replied that he had gone to work.

According to him, their father had never supported the mob attack. 

He completely condemned the actions of the vigilante groups and others involved. 
He also mentioned that the vigilantes had been destroying people’s motorcycles and harassing residents in the area. 

Since their father’s house is located on Goodwill Street, near the junction where the incident happened, the police began raiding houses in the neighborhood.

The source told SaharaReporters that Junior is completely innocent of the crime for which he was arrested.

According to the source, "My cousin, who was not at home when the mob attack happened in Uromi, was arrested by men of the Nigeria Police. He arrived after the incident had already occurred. Early this morning, at around 5AM on March 30th, the police came to my dad’s house. They broke through my dad’s fence gate and forced their way through two entrance gates to gain access to the house.

"At the time, my dad and my little cousin were sleeping in his room. The officers asked my dad if he was alone, and he replied that he was with his son, who was sleeping in the room. They then asked my dad to call him out. As soon as he did, the police told my cousin to put on his shirt and took him away. Until now, we do not know his whereabouts." 

The source stated,  "Only my elderly father is left alone in the house, and none of us are around to go to the police station to check if my cousin is there or not. My cousin was living in Lagos before, but he moved to Uromi when there was no one else to stay with my dad. My dad is a retired school principal and has been retired for many years.

"When I first heard rumours about what was happening in Uromi, I quickly called my dad. He told me he couldn’t even step outside due to the tension. When I asked him about my cousin, he said he had gone to work. During our conversation, my dad and I completely condemned the mob attack. He even asked me if kidnappers carry dogs and farm tools, saying he had never seen such a thing happen in their junction before."

"He also told me how the vigilantes had been destroying people’s bikes in that area and abusing residents. My dad’s house is at No. 4 Goodwill Street, near the junction where the incident occurred. After the attack, the police started raiding houses in the area.

"My cousin is completely innocent of the crime he has been arrested for," the source added. 

When SaharaReporters contacted the Edo State Command's Public Relations Officer, SP Moses Yamu, he said, "I will get back to you."

Origin:
publisher logo
saharareporters
Loading...
Loading...

You may also like...