Nairobi Water Announces Plans to Dismantle All Illegal Connections with Penalties, Gives Deadline
Bonface Kanyamwaya, a journalist at TUKO.co.ke, has more than 10 years of financial, economic, business, markets, and aviation expertise, providing insights into Kenya and global trends.
Nairobi City Water and Sewerage Company (NWSC) has announced plans to dismantle illegal water connections in the city as part of a wider plan to stop system losses.

Source: Twitter
NCWSC said in a recent public notice published on Tuesday, April 1, that individuals who are illegally connected to its water supply must come forth and regularise their water connections.
"Applicable penalties will be waived for customers who voluntarily regularise their water connections on or before Wednesday, April 30, 2025," said the notice.
Nairobi Water headed by chief executive Nahashon Muguna said in the notice that anyone who will fail to regularise his meter or illegal connection will be charged and prosecuted.
They will also be compelled to pay any applicable fines and penalties for failing to honour the notice on time. Illegal water connection attracts a fine KSh 100,000.
Illegal water connections in city estates have been a big concern to the county government which has been racing against time to raise its revenue collections from KSh 20 billion from KSh 12.8 billion collected in the last financial year.
The county government estimated that out of 560,000 cubic meters of water supplied to Nairobi daily, 300,000 cubic meters are lost due to illegal connections.
Nairobi estates leading with cases of illegal water connections include; Githurai, Zimmerman, Kasarani, Mwiki, Huruma, Kayole, Kariobangi, Imara Daima, Mathare North among others.
To allow more city residents to consume water that has not been tapped illegally, NCWSC has been waiving penalties for individuals who volunteer to regularise their connections.
Unfortunately, a few water users have been coming forth to regularise their connections, a situation that has left the water utility firm with mounting debt.

Source: Twitter
reported last year in May that the company body was facing a substantial debt of approximately KSh 4 billion due to non-payment from various entities.
NWSC said then that the outstanding debt had accumulated over a seven-year period, affecting the company's ability to carry on with its projects.
The firm revealed that Nairobi and Kiambu owed them KSh 500 million while private sector water users in Nairobi had a debt of over KSh 3 billion while public schools owed them KSh 160 million.
Despite the challenges, the company said it will continue to provide water services to consumers without interruptions.
Source: TUKO.co.ke